Attack on Chinese consulate in Karachi foiled; 2 policemen martyred

News Desk

Security forces foiled a terror attack targeting the Chinese Consulate situated in Karachi's Clifton on Friday, leaving at least seven people dead.

Three terrorists were killed by security forces as they tried to enter the heavily fortified Chinese consulate. Two policemen were martyred in the incident because of injuries due to an explosion, while a private security guard was also injured in the blast.

The police officers were identified as Assistant Sub Inspector Ashraf Dawood and Constable Amir, while the private security guard was identified as Muhammad Juman, police said.

Two civilians were also killed in the attack. They have been identified as Zahir Shah and Abdul Karim, a father and son.

The outlawed Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA) claimed responsibility for the attack on social media.

A map showing the site of the attack.
Location of the attack

The terrorists were carrying several rounds and rations indication they might have been trying to create a hostage situation.

'Firing outside Consulate'

Earlier, there were reports of gunshots and multiple blasts in the area at around 9:30am. Smoke was seen rising from the direction of the Chinese Consulate building, which also houses Chinese diplomats and other staff.

According to reports, the attackers initially fired at the checkpost, and then detonated a hand greanade. Police said the three attackers had parked some distance from the consulate before making their way to there.

The attackers initially exchanged fire with the policeman, and after they were martyred they tried gaining entry into the consulate.

However, the guards were able to act quickly ushering civilians inside the Consulate and barring the gates.

Inside the Consulate, the Chinese staff were taken into the main building. The terrorists were able to gain access into the consulate later, however, Ranger were quick to arrive and engage.

After an hour-long exchange of fire, the three terrorists were killed and weapons and explosive materials were recovered from their bodies.

Police sources said that at least one attacker was wearing a suicide vest which did no detonate.



    Leave a comment